Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Free Gift From NASA

The other day I was visiting the Phoenix Mission website operated by the University of Arizona. It is where to find the most current information on the project, and they have great resources for students and teachers. They also issue the news releases for the Phoenix Mars Mission.

You will find a lot of interesting stuff there and it is well worth a visit. Personally, I was trying to get some perspective on the size of things that we sent to Mars. I wished to see how big the Phoenix Mars Lander is. I was curious about the shovel.

Turns out the Mars Lander shovel is a scoop you can hold in two hands. It really is quite fascinating. I need remember we are dealing with robotics here.

I had visions of a backhoe loading Martian soil into huge ovens for testing on the Mars Lander. I had been brought up with visions of a couple of astronauts driving around on the surface of the Moon in a vehicle. Why not a backhoe on Mars?

I have mentioned I am not a scientist, a professor, or space authority. I am a member of the Public. I am a student, and sometimes a teacher. And sometimes I need more information to get the facts straight on more technical matters.

I found my answer in an interesting place. NASA, and the folks at the University of Arizona had an interesting solution to my problem.

They presented me with a gift on their website that helped me put things in better perspective regarding the size of things concerning the Phoenix lander.

Their gift is a screensaver with stunning images. The images are changed occasionally as NASA adds new photos. There are up close pictures of the team members working on the Phoenix, and actual photos of the work now being done on Mars by the Lander.

This is a screensaver I actually look at a lot. The photography is fabulous. And, it doesn't make me dizzy!

You too can get your free screensaver and check out the other great add-ons related to this mission, by going to: "Mars Mission Screensaver

While there you will also find widgets that will keep you updated on the current weather conditons on Mars, and a timer that keeps you posted on passing Sols.

A Sol is one day on Mars, and it about 12 hours different than our days on the Earth. I will have to check if it is longer or shorter. Answer for that question anyone?

Smiles. ET 

No comments: