Monday, June 23, 2008

Water on Mars?

Isn't the NASA Mars Mission screensaver great!

I have had a chance to look at the pictures real closely, and I have my own guesses on what that white substance is in the Martian soil. I am not a scientist, but I have pretty good deductive reasoning skills.

First, I can see where those small white pieces in the troughs may be ice. These could be pieces of ice, and do you notice they are rounded. They look like ice.

Now that white sheet of whatever that we see may be something quite different.

I have wintered over in Alaska. I have experienced 40 degrees below zero for days at a time. You go to dig in ice at that temperature and it cracks all over the place, It is crystalline.

The Mars Lander is scooping that white stuff up very smoothly. It isn't cracking or looking crystalline at all. The Mars Lander scoop is cutting through that stuff like it is butter.

My thought is that white substance at the bottom of the trench looks more like a salt bed, or possibly a limestone formation.

So that's my two cents on the matter. Now we wait for the facts to be shared with us from NASA.

What are your thoughts on this?

Next up; lunar land transportation!

Smiles. ET

No comments: